Tuesday 24 July 2007

It's nearly over!!


Standing outside the Mt Hagen market,wearing my Merri blouse and carrying my PNG umbrella to keep the sun off my face!!

This week we’ve had trouble with the phones, both mobile and landline so I’ve been totally out of range and unable to email. I’m in town today so I’m able to use the internet café.

Only another week and I’ll be on my way home. Not before time I might add…....as a consequence of only having only one TV channel I’ve inadvertently become addicted to McLeod’s Daughters!!

Last Friday I sat in on a meeting between the College Board and the Office of Higher Education. The college has introduced teacher training to its curriculum this year and are now seeking accreditation. It was very interesting and fortuitously the work Samuel and I are doing in the library ties in very nicely with the prerequisites the college needs to fulfill to attain their goal things like continuous improvement, quality management, documented policies, etc.etc. (sound familiar Bayside Library?)
PNG would have virtually no schools teachers or nurses if it weren’t for the missionaries and church schools. This is a fact the government readily understands and higher education facilities are developed by forming partnerships between the government and the church schools.

Election # 4
The saga continues looks like they’ll now finish counting by the end of this week and announce the final results on July 30. Along the way fights have broken out when seats have been declared and when the final results are announced we can expect some more. Last week in town there was a huge funeral procession, 100s of people painted yellow and piled onto the back of trucks to attend the funeral of a tribal leader who had been killed during the election hoo haa.

No comments: