Thursday 5 July 2007

Elections # 2

The polling begins tomorrow and today I have been moved to a hotel/resort in Hagen. This is just in case there is any tribal problems during and straight after the polling. So I'm staying here till Tuesday when hopefully everything will quieten down...that is until they announce the results and then there might be more fighting!!
We passed several truck loads of soldiers on the way into town today, they were heading for the polling stations in the province to guard the election booths.
Last week there were big election rallies here in Hagen. Its a very big deal for the tribes and they come to town dressed up in tribal costumes, feathers, painted faces etc. etc. Unfortunately I couldn't get close enough to take photos.

P.S. After 28 Alcohol free days I have had a glass of wine today. Yay!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Errr, so its not a good idea to stand for election over there??? :-)

Yay indeed!! Hope you manage to fit in another glass or two before you head back to your usual digs - chug-a-lug.

Anonymous said...

I heard on the radio this morning that PNG has three million people who are eligible to vote...and four million people on the electoral roll. Some NGo's have gone through to try to clean up the roll, but there is still a surplus of over a million "ghost votes"...democracy is still a long time away for PNG I think - no wonder they are so upset!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you went 28 days, I never thought you would be able to! I am shocked!

Mr X

Anonymous said...

Thank God you've had a glass of wine! I hope this means you've avoided coming home a tee-totalling born again!!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Kerryn's been drinking your share Karyn.

Mr X