Wednesday 13 June 2007

My new home

I arrived in Mt Hagen safely and was met by David, the vice principal of the college. The college is 20 minutes from town so I have to rely on someone to bring me to town once a week to get groceries and use the internet. I have my own house and look after my own cooking etc. I am now on my 7th alcohol free day and am now doing three sets of 12 push ups every morning!!! I'll be a new woman when I get back!!
The market in town has some great fresh food which is very cheap, guava, tamarillo and mandarins are particularly nice. The supermarket is quite expensive.
This is a country of low literacy rates, high unemployment and a culture of violence.
From the airport signs which request that you check in your weapons and ammunition before you get on the plane, to constant advertising about stopping violence against women, and advertising about the elections asking people not to bring weapons to the polling booths and not to intimidate other voters.

4 comments:

Holley cKo said...

Oh luv... we were just saying, 20 minutes, why doesn't she walk. But then, we realised that violence against women may impact on the 20 minute walk :)

Take care. Send us some pics

Luv Holley & Ruza Xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Mum,

Your TV situation sounds more dire than mine. I have six channels on mine, but I have to pay for it! And at least I can access internet at work each day...Bring me back a violence against women poster if you can please!

Oops.. I deleted my blog!! said...

Wow! you could start a whole new fitness trend, write a book and make a squillion !!!!! Seriously Libby & I are just saying how admirable it is that you have volunteered for such a project.!!!
Take Care and Batten down the Hatches. Rose & Libby.

Feather's blog said...

Hi Karyn, Great to hear from you.
What is the library like? What facilities, if any, do they have? We're thinking of you as we sit in our palatial surroundings and whinge about the borrowers. We don't appreciate how well off we are. Have a guava for me - I love them.
Cheers, Jennie B